CHETTINAD THAKKALI KURMA RECIPE
CHETTINAD THAKKALI KURMA is a perfect side for South Indian Tiffin varieties like Idli, dosa, parotta and chappathi. Coimbatore based dishes are termed as chettinad or kongunadu recipes. This is one of the simplest vegetarian kongu specialty recipe, Chettinad recipes are famous for their non vegetarian delicacies. Perfect blend of simple spices in tomato based gravy also pairs well with steamed rice with spicy potato curry.
There are many variations in Chettinad cuisine, like roasted gram / pottu kadalai is a must in all masalas prepared.
Apart from side dishes such as sambar,chutney Kurmas too makes an awesome pair. Traditionally Kurma in Tamilnadu are made with mixed vegetables to go along with chappathi and parotta. Have also made Chettinad masala kuzhambu made with country vegetables which goes perfectly well with rice.
CHETTINAD THAKKALI KURMA
Author: Kalpana Sareesh
Recipe type: Side dish
Cuisine: Chettinad / South Indian
- 4 nos - Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 no - Onion (chopped)
- ½ tsp - Red Chilli powder
- ¼ tsp - Turmeric powder
- Cinnamon - ¼ inch, Cloves - 2 nos, Cardamom - 1 no
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- Salt as reqd
- Fresh coriander
- ¼ cup - Fresh Coconut flakes
- 5 nos – Dry Red chillies
- ½ tsp - Fennel seeds
- ½ tsp - Khus Khus
- 1 tsp - Ginger chopped
- Dry roast ingredients from coconut till ginger and ground into smooth paste with ¼ cup water.
- Heat oil in a pan add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom pod roast well, add onions saute well add tomatoes and cook till it turns soft.
- Add the paste, half cup water, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt cover and cook for 5 -6 mins in medium heat.
- Once they gravy thickens switch off the heat sprinkle coriander leaves and serve!!