Ragda Patties recipe is one of the most favorites among chaat items. This dish is made with dried white peas which has always been my fascination. There used be an old thaatha (grand father) who use to sell white peas with tadka and topped with green mangoes near my school and it’s a must buy fro me on all days. This famous Mumbai street food is served with potato patiies and ragda is poured over, drizzled with green and sweet chutney. This ragda patties recipe makes a complete meal by itself.
Since i had stock of sweet potatoes made patties with them. Easy to make patties nothing much fancy, simple ingredients and it can be made ahead too. Ragda patties is a popular breakfast dish from Maharashtra and also an popular street food.
Three steps involved in making Ragda Patties:
Ragda (white peas curry)
Green chutney, Sweet / Tamarind chutney
Patties (sweet potato)
- For Ragda:
- 2 cups - Dried white peas
- 1 no - Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp - Red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp - Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp - Garam masala
- a pinch of asafoetida / hing
- 1 no - clove, 1 small inch - cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp - Salt or as reqd
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- For Patties:
- 4 nos - Sweet potato / potato
- 2 tbsp - Cornflour
- 1 tsp - Green chillies (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp - Coriander (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp Red chilli powder
- ¾ tsp - Salt or as reqd
- 2 tbsp - Oil
- For Assembling:
- Pomegranate Kernels
- Green Chutney
- Sweet chutney
- Lemon juice
- Boil the sweet potatoes in pressure cooker for 4 whistles with pinch of salt and keep aside to cool.
- Peel skin mash them well. Add cornflour, coriander, red chilli powder, salt, green chillies and mix well.
- Shape them into patties, heat a tawa or a pan drizzle oil place the patties and cook them on both the sides until they turn golden (pan frying method)
- In a pressure pan cook white peas with half tsp salt, water until peas is immersed and pressure cook for 6 whistles, allow to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan add clove, cinnamon stick, onion and saute well.
- Add cooked peas with stock if any, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, hing, 2 cups water , salt and cook until it comes to nice boil approx 5 minutes.
- Now start assembling place two patties in a plate, pour ragda, drizzle green chutney, sweet chutney, sprinkle onions, tomatoes, pomegranate kernels, few drops of lemon juice, sev, papdi, coriander leaves and serve.
If the patties shapes are not forming add a tbsp more of corn flour and mix it and re shape them.